Hi all! How is life treating you? I truly hope you're having a fabulous day. Today I'm going to write about one of my "dream come true" experiences: swimming with dolphins! I know for some of you this is something special you have always dreamt of! Well guess what...you can do it right away! What are you waiting for? Got your mask, snorkel and flippers...ready for an unforgettable swim?

The destination I'm taking you to today is one of the most well-known islands in the world: heavenly Zanzibar! Zanzibar is famous for its ancient slave trade, its endless beaches and turquoise sea, its spices and exquisite fresh fruits, its unique coral reefs, AND...its dolphins!

Kizimkazi, in the far south of the island, is one of the best places to view and swim with these amazing creatures!

There are two main species of dolphins that live in the area: bottlenose dolphins (most common), and the Indo-Pacific humpback species.

When to Go

Zanzibar is accessible all year round, and Kizimkazi trips can be planned on a yearly basis. Notice however that dolphin sightings are NOT GUARANTEED (although highly probable). My recommendation is to choose the dry season (rather than rainy months) when planning your trip. Weather conditions are more suitable, the sea is calmer (fewer waves), which ultimately makes the experience more enjoyable!

My Experience

I've had the chance to visit Zanzibar on various occasions, and Kizimkazi has always been one of the highlights of my stay! Swimming with dolphins is "unique", and incredibly exciting! It's an amazing feeling to be able to experience their world for just a few minutes, to swim with them side by side, to feel their presence right underneath you...

It also demands a lot of efforts, as dolphins are always on the move. Be ready to jump on and off the boat quite often!

I've tried to touch them more than once, but never accomplished the task...they are so quick and agile...absolutely INCREDIBLE creatures!

0 comments